2.11.07

The Weary Traveler


I am amazed at how my incessant wanderlust inevitably leads me home, if only for a short while. After a week abroad catching trains, riding delayed planes, and trying to sleep on bumpy automobiles, I returned to London wanting my own bed, familiar faces, and a vacation from my vacation (all luxuries I won't truly have for at least another month or two...).

Despite Italy's "va bene" attitude, Switzerland's pastoral calm, and Ireland's ambling pace, traveling has once again proven to be as great a challenge as it is a reward.

So in a respite from writing and reflecting, I'm using this entry as an opportunity to share some captivating images and moments from a trip I am only beginning to understand and appreciate on so many different levels.

If a picture is worth a thousand words, hopefully the following images will serve as a comprehensive record of a world that continues to reveal itself to me in a slow striptease of beauty and breathtaking complexity.

Look for an entry on Zumthor's Therme Vals and my recent excursions to Hadid's exhibit at London's Design Museum as well as Doris Salcedo's "Shibboleth" in the Tate Modern's Turbine Hall.

No comments: