Today's New York Times featured an article discussing Pierre Chareau's Maison de Verre, an architectural work that Oroussoff describes as "an elaborate piece of furniture," a "cult object," "surrealist artwork," something worthy of "poetic force,"and most importantly, an "exquisite machine."
As I finalize packing this evening (a.k.a. stuffing things into suitcases and praying not to exceed any weight limits--I'm afraid my former post was a hopeful farse) I continue to think about Oroussoff's metaphoric palette.
In a consideration of the Maison de Verre as a piece of architecture internally related to modernism and externally related to Chareau's experimental desire for choreographed living, it is easy to conclude that while it was many things, it was NOT a one-liner.
In times of what I describe as "architectural polarity," a phenomenon in which contemporary architecture achieves highs and lows as often as ground is broken for a McMansion development in the Midwest, I become nostalgic for a time I was not alive to witness; a time of architectural experimentation that did not involve computer software capabilities or scripting secrets, but rather a blind optimism that architecture could challenge conventional lifestyle through glass block and spatial choreography.
As I embark on my journey, I will continue to think of Chareau's work. While London is no Paris (and Paris, to be fair, is no London), I am curious what dynamism will emerge in London's architecture.
Who was London's Chareau? What small, residential gems are waiting to be bought and restored to their "inner" Maison de Verre? How do Sterling, Rogers, and Foster compare? Or can they be compared?
Looking forward to finding out.
_______________________________________________________________
extras:
Maison de Verre slideshow: http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2007/08/26/arts/20070826_OURO_SLIDESHOW_index.html
Pictures of what DID NOT make the cut list, as promised:



1. coffee mug
2. etch-a-sketch
3. tambourine collection
4. casey's soccer ball
5. sloth
6. talking napoleon 
27.8.07
London's Chareau
Posted by
Author: BMO
at
00:39
Labels:
maison de verre
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment